Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Decorating DISASTER!! (or maybe I'm the disaster)

Okay... Let me start my apologizing for such a boring blog post for most, but to me this is no small ordeal.... So we moved into our house last June, yes that was over 8 months ago... I am well aware. So I finally decide now might be a great time to actually buy some quality bedding and paint our bedroom.. So I quickly (never choose something that you have to live with long term on a whim) decided to go with this mustard yellow bedding from Pottery Barn.. Then quickly ran to the paint store to buy some samples of yellow paints... So after multiple samples and about 15 (no exaggeration) trips to the Benjamin Moore paint store with two kids, one of which was chewing on bolts that he found in some unknown bin and helping himself to the refreshment aisle, i headed out with a paint color I knew would be great...Back-up, once I had finally decided on a paint color I realized I didn't have my wallet..Opps, but thought I'm not going to be painting it tonight anyway, I'll send Tyler in the morning to pick it up minus the kids.....

Next Day... So I send Tyler off to the paint store to pick up the yellow paint called Dalila...Tyler returns with $89 worth of diarrhea paint color Dahlia... opppps! In case you didn't know, the paint store does not allow returns or exchanges on paint... So the following day I return to the store to buy the correct paint color, but their formula computer seems to be down... So now, I am dealing with Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dumb and Dumbest, chicken scratching down what they think "might" be the formula.... Oh mercy!

Wow, this is getting long..I will sum it up I promise....

After many tears, screams and all together hysterics after I discover that my new paint color is like a giant ball of sun, Tyler takes the paint back to the store where he finally convinces the Tweedle Trio that it's their fault and hand measusing out the colorant is not an option....they miraculously get the computer working and make me new paint.... I then paint my entire bathroom Dalila yellow today and decide... I don't think I like the mustard yellow bedspread and mustard yellow walls.... Forget it... I'm going to order the green.....

If you could only see my bedroom, you would not be laughing! I'm burnt out, I now hate yellow and am going to hire a painter to fix it.... A

12 comments:

Jamie said...

I could hear that story a million times and laugh about it every time. Don't worry the miracle paint color will be found eventually. Lets just hope it doesn't take 15 more paint swatches!!

Drew and Tarah said...

oh wow sister!! You totally have me laughing at 1:30am! I am sorry about your bad day! But you totally made me laugh! Love you!!!

MEG said...

LOL! - What a great story! I really wish you put up a picture of it!!!! All I can think of for some reason is Big Bird.

allegra said...

paints are sooo hard!! how are you suppossed to choose... there's always way too many options. i went through a similar story(though not so bad) when trying to paint a nursery back in idaho. I got two different blues to do contrasting stipes and they ended up being basically the same color, so I had to go back several times to try and finally get the right one, and yes i wasted some money too! don't feel too bad. hopefully when you're rested up you can laugh about it:) he he.

is it really that bad? i love yellow. im sure it will be fine. maybe you just need to get used to it? LOL i don't know

allegra said...

oh p.s. at least you did one thing right. can't go wrong with pottery barn bedding...

Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} said...

What a nightmare? I have never painted. I would totally be burnt out on yellow too after all that.

Erin Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James and Tricia Thomas said...

I have a new bed set sitting on my floor (it's been there awhile!) and I keep thinking 'I am not too sure I like it!!' Perhaps this blog was a sign! You need to post the pictures of your beautiful bedroom as soon as it's done so we can share in your joy!!

Jessica said...

That is so frustrating! Since we'll be moving in a few months, I am starting to get a little anxious about decorating...I always fear I'm going to hate it (John always tells me I have buyer's remorse). I guess that's just how it goes. Makes me glad to know I'm not the only one!!! :)

Tisha said...

funny, but not funny! I would be in tears! my sister and brother-in-law have a similar story, she saw the color in a mag and hired pro-painters to paint their entire downstairs. after the job she walked back in to a total disaster- completely the WRONG shade of yellow- totally big bird! anyway, I'm soooo sorry! I can't wait to see pics of the green!!

Ryan & Keri said...

Amber, I'm so sorry to hear about your paint problem. I always let Ryan choose those types of things, so that I'm not to blame. He's better at it than me anyway, so I never have to complain. He's really a great decorator. Nonetheless, I'm sorry. Decorating makes me want to pull my hair out!!! Anyway, I am moving to Denver--long story. If you're up for it, I thought it would be fun to get some friends together for a play date. I'm not sure where you are located, but I'll be in HR, CO, and I think Lacey Evanson(I don't know her knew last name) is there too. Is Twink in Provo? Do you know of any others? I just thought it might be fun to catch up with some of the girls. Anyway, let me know.
Keri (kcbear16@hotmail.com)

Ryan & Keri said...

I'll have to email you once I get up there. We've been living with my in-laws for the past two months, while Ryan does his student teaching and does not get paid. There's abuse going on in the house, though, and we just can't live here anymore. It's going to be really difficult to be away from Ryan, but we are just going to have to make it through until he finishes. In the meantime, he will come visit us in Denver. . . . I'll let you know when I am free when I get up there.